Thursday, August 10, 2006

One month and counting

It's been a month since the fighting in the north began and I don't see an end in site. I am amazed at the responses of the people around me. One woman I work with had a husband who has been on reserve duty in the north since the beginning and a child in the reserve service and two that are still fulfilling their army service. I didn't know any of this until today. If it were me, I would have walked around hysterical and moping and made sure that every one knew. How can one function with so much to worry about? She seems to have the classic Israeli response, which is, "It'll be fine."

Now I am sitting in my living room. Behind me Yuval is playing the guitar along to an opera singer. Our friend is throwing herself a birthday party in the park near our home and someone hired an opera singer to seranade her. Yuval is the accompaniment. It should be a lovely party in a gigantic park on a summer night with lovely music guaranteed. Even in wartime on days when all flights to England have been stopped because of severe terror threats, the parties in Tel Aviv just keep going.

No comments: