Sunday, June 29, 2008

Highlight

The best part of today took place at the grocery store. I went to pick up eggs to make blueberry muffins out of my monster container of blueberries. Thank god for Costco. In the dairy aisle, a young woman was pushing a shopping cart full of two kids and a car seat with a screaming, wailing baby. She was calmly picking up gallons of milk and the baby just kept wailing. Two aisles over, I could still hear it and it was driving me crazy. Crazy enough that I walked up to her and said,

"You clearly have your hands full. Would you like me to hold your baby?" And here's the really crazy part, I actually said, "I could give you my wallet or something so you know I won't run off with her."

The mom shrugged, I put my purse in her cart and she deposited the wailing newborn in my arms. "How old is she?" I asked.

"Seven weeks."

"She's gorgeous."

"I know."

"I can just follow you around," I said. "I'm not in a rush."

The baby stopped screaming as I kept rocking my hips from side to side.

"She hates going out," her mom said.

The little baby stared calmly up at the lights on the ceiling and grabbed a hold of the neckline of my t-shirt.

I followed her mother down the next aisle and held her while they checked out. She was asleep, her tiny hands clasped together in front, by the time the groceries were bagged and I placed her back in her car seat.

"Hopefully she'll sleep all the way home," I smiled at her mother. "Thanks for making my day." I turned around and headed back to the dairy aisle.

2 comments:

Ty Nelson said...

yeaaaaaahhhhhhhh you're blogging again! sweet. way to calm the screaming baby too.

D & L said...

I LOVE YOU!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!! DO you have any idea how great that is and how much I fantasized about some nice safe woman coming up to me and offering to calm my waling infant when Charlie was so new and I had no idea what the hell I was doing yet? On behalf of new Moms (Or Moms to new babies) everywhere I thank you. Missing you tons....