Saturday, October 25, 2008

Cucurbitacean

Cucurbitacean - a person who regards pumpkins or squash with deep, often rapturous love.

I can't deny it, I am a Cucurbitacean. I didn't know there was a word for this, until approximately 2 minutes ago, and the fact it exists seemed to call for a blog entry. I know it sounds extreme to state that I am enraptured with pumpkin, but the truth is, I can tell you the exact moment I first had a pumpkin latter- the SLC airport 3 years ago. I was hooked. I had found the new love of my life...Our affair lasted until I learned how many calories are in a pumpkin spice latte. I would bring cans of pumpkin with me from the US to Israel, so I could get my fix of pumpkin cookies. I have perfected my pumpkin cookie to the point where it is so healthy that I can justify eating them instead of meals, and yet still, they are delicious. At least I think so, sometimes I wonder if maybe I am tasting the memory of a pumpkin cookie when I eat them and I have just masked the actual flavor with the chocolate chips and spices.

Since moving back to the US, I have made the most of my constant access to pumpkin and pumpkin lattes- only now that I know better, I go with the small size, non-fat, half the syrup, and no whipped cream. And it's still fantastic. Try one. If you are one of my SLC pals, I'll direct you to the best one in your neighborhood, because yes, I have tried them at every chain and every coffee store near you.

It's not just the lattes I love, and let's be honest, of course I realize there is no actual pumpkin involved in the latte. Unless I happen to pass a pumpkin patch while drinking the latte and driving. Speaking of pumpkin patches, they are everywhere now. I can't wait to get to carving. The truth is, I love picking out the pumpkin and then I pretty much hate every step in between until the point where I get to light the candle and smell the pumpkin flesh roasting on the inside and watch the candle flicker peacefully. I am the reason the steps in the middle are so terrible. I'm the one who aims for spotless pumpkin innards, who annually washes off and bakes the seeds in the oven because it is Tradition- my father did it and I must too. Regardless of the fact the pumpkin seed is the only part of the pumpkin I don't like and regardless of the fact that I burn them about 50% of the time. The other 50% I rescue them in time from the oven, offer them to people as uninterested in them as I am and then eventually, throw them all away. Gees, no wonder I hate the carving part.

It isn't just pumpkins I adore, my love extends to all squash. This month, my food co-op went nuts with squash. I love my food co-op. Once a month, I get to go pick up a surprise order containing 4 varieties of fruit, 4 varieties of vegetables, fresh made bread and any other local product they are offering that month- fresh made local jam, locally roasted varieties of nuts, handmade tamales from a town in Utah so small I suspect it is home to one Mexican-American family with powerful tamale skills, handmade sausages, you get the idea. I never know exactly what I am going to get when it comes to the fruit and vegetables, and since I order the extras three weeks in advance, I always forget what I ordered, which makes a delightful surprise, "Handmade blackberry jam, who knew? How thoughtful of me!"

This week, the surprise was squash. One of the squashes is blue. Actually blue. I am officially on the hunt for blue squash recipes, which is where I came across the word that is the title of this blog entry. There are other squash that I think are acorn, but tiny, and three spaghetti squash. Which brings me to the downside of the co-op. Living alone and trying to consume three spaghetti squash, 4 acorn squash, a blue squash, and the 2 pounds of carrots I came home with today, is an incredible challenge. You can guess what I'll be having for dinner every night this month. Good thing I am a cucurbitacean.

1 comment:

Lesha said...

I am one of these too!!! Although I lack the know how to even say that word but it is my new favortie