When I was a kid I remember attending "Science Can Be Fun" days where professors would "perform" physics experiments that looked like magic tricks. One that stuck with me was the liquid nitrogen trick. This is the one where the magician/scientist takes something pliable like a balloon or a rubber ball and dumps it in the liquid nitrogen and, after a few moments, scoops it out and throws it on the ground. Inevitably, the rubber does what rubber never does- shatters.
This is how I felt when I came to Utah almost three months ago. I wasn't heart broken. On the contrary, I couldn't feel my heart. My entire chest cavity felt frozen, but not frozen like ice, frozen like a rubber balloon in liquid nitrogen and about to do what bodies are never supposed to do- shatter.
I am happy to report that I no longer feel like this. I haven't even thought about this image for a little while. I just happened to come across a description of the experiment in the Salt Lake Tribune today. For anyone that hasn't seen this, now is your chance.
Science-minded Natural History Museum takes action so kids have a lifelong reaction
--- Free Family Monday program
The Utah Museum of Natural History is on the University of Utah Campus at 1390 E. Presidents Circle. Free Family Mondays takes place the first Monday of each month, and runs from 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. The museum and the U.'s Physics Department teamed up for the program, which is funded with money from Salt Lake County's Zoo, Arts and Parks program.
No comments:
Post a Comment