Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Beto's

One thing that I missed desparately whenever I have lived out of the country is Mexican food. The entire year in Sweden we were starved for Mexican food, so when we took a trip to Norway and found that there was a Mexican restaurant in Oslo, we treked across town in order to find it. I still remember the white plate that arrived with white food swimming in white sauce. I received something that looked like a flour tortilla covered in cream of mushroom sauce out of a can. I don't know where in Mexico those Norweigan's had been, but it certainly wasn't anywhere I ever want to go. Even the East Coast never had the kind of Mexican food that I was missing. Of course, there was incredible Cuban food, Spanish food, Italian food, Indian food... Oh, I miss Boston and New York! But, still, there is nothing to compare to the Mexican food here.

I recently discovered a new thing about Utah Mexican food. It's what everyone eats on the weekend at 3 in the morning when everything else is closed and everyone has been drinking long enough to start craving grease. A few weeks ago, Abbie and I drove by one of the drive-through Mexican places at 4 am, on the way back from playing sand volleyball. We had planned to stop, but the line snaked around the entire restaurant. Now, in some cities, this wouldn't be strange. In Salt Lake, where everything else is silent and everything has already been closed for an hour or more, it's especially shocking. Fortunately, Abbie is not a stranger to these late night Mexican food runs, and we found another, quieter one about 10 blocks away, where we could get our three pound burritos wrapped in lard and white flour tortillas. For those of you that worried I was getting to thin- worry no more! The solution has been found and my weight is rising accordingly. In fact, I am beginning to worry!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...Betos. -Abbie