I love editing. I love taking a piece of writing and marking it up with commas, crossing out excess words, restating sentences to gain clarity, correcting commas or periods to semi-colons. You may have noticed I tend not to do such a great job of editing this blog. It's because I can't print out the entries and slash them up with my pen. It's not as much fun to hit 'backspace'.
The last two weeks, I found out that I am good at editing more than my writing. It turns out, I excel at editing my life. In fact, I am so good at editing my life I created a veritable marketing campaign. "Come visit the glamorous location of Linsey's Life, where true love reigns, and all is well with the world." I portrayed this edited version of the world, not just to others, but to myself. I took my mental pen and slashed up my brain. I crossed out contradictory information; I put it in tiny mental typeface like all the warnings at the end of a prescription drug commercial. "Warning: living Linsey's life may cause feelings of worthlessness, anxiety, confusion, and momentary flashes of euphoria. Linsey's life has been shown to be addictive and may lead to fluctuating weight loss and gain in the user. Operating heavy machinery while living Linsey's life is not recommended. And, good god, if you have ever been a passenger in Linsey's car while she's trying to carry on a conversation- we don't envy you."
1 comment:
Okay, that's just funny. But I know what you mean. I edit myself unintentionally even in my own journal, let alone anything public. It's interesting how effective we can be at rewriting our own internal histories, too.
Damn girl, get yourself over to this coast! I wish you could be here for a night of Hanukkah in the worst way.
Post a Comment