Sunday, January 13, 2008

Movies

I have a movie theater at my gym. I get to work out on the elliptical while watching movies. I have never been able to sit still during movies, so this is the best way for me to see movies. I get to feel productive while watching Hollywood fluff that would normally make me pull my hair out. Since I feel productive, and I end up able to exercise longer, I get a kick out of watching these movies. It's a delicious guilty pleasure to watch Dodge ball and Legally Blond 2. I watched Dream Girls twice, with a huge smile on my face the entire time. I grew up listening to Motown and jazz and it rarely fails to make me smile. And it's easy to push myself another 15 minutes or so when Beyonce is on the screen. Who wouldn't want to work out and at least try to look like that?

I actually cried while running and watching "Something's Gotta Give". I related so well to the divorced, post-menopausal Diane Keaton character that I actually scared myself. When it became obvious that she was going to end up with the jackass Jack Nicholson character, I walked out in disgust. When in real life would I want the talented, professional, beautiful, composed woman to end up with the womanizing loser? The answer? When I am that woman and when the loser is intelligent, handsome, and charming. Having realized this, I am practicing walking out, before we end up together. Abbie calls me "The Girl Who Cried Break-up". Not a title I am honored to hold. But at least in this case, I didn't go back.

No comments: