Thursday, January 03, 2008

Stand my Ground

I rang in the New Year relatively quietly, the way I most prefer to do and spent the first day of 2008 walking along a beach that is a national park. I peered into tide pools filled with sea anemones, hermit crabs, and a range of shellfish. I watched the sea birds run along the beach, into and out of the waves, and watched children run back and forth between their parents.

Later in the day I took a walk in a suburban neighborhood with a lovely yellow mutt, with more that a little German Shepherd in her. While we were walking along through a park, a tabby cat started eyeing us warily from the side of the path. I pulled the dog closer to me, hanging on tightly to the leash as we approached the cat. The cat did not back away. She hunched up her back and the hair along her spine stood up an extra half an inch. Not only did she not back away from her spot as the dog strained to get her, she followed after the dog, hair still on end. She followed us another 30 yards, which I assume was the extent of her territory and then sat down to watch us walk away. Her body language was clear: and stay out!

May 2008 be the year I learn to stand my ground in the face of any large challenge. May I have the strength to guard my territory and ask for the respect that I deserve.

No comments: