Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Fabulous by Thirty

Abbie came up with a fantastic idea. We, along with several friends, are turning 29 this year- the last year of our 20s. Abbie reads a lot of online magazines and self help information and has noticed that what happens after 30 can be pretty grim, so she wants to go into it feeling and looking the best she ever has. Thus, we started the Fabulous by 30 Club. Each of the members has created their set of goals for the year and then parsed those goals into manageable bits. We will meet once a month to review whether we met our goals for the month and set goals for the coming month. My goals concern mental, financial, and physical health, as well as my career ambitions. The other members focus mostly on fitness and health.

This evening the Fabulous by Thirty Club met for the first time. We planned to meet one hour before our monthly book club. Book club usually involves a glass of wine or two, but Abbie happened to not have any wine on hand, so she popped a bottle of champagne open. I had about a glass and a half. Halfway through the evening, Abbie announced that she had bought frozen cookies from a young girl who was raising money for an international soccer competition. She HAD to buy the cookies in order to support the health of the next generation. And she would just pop a few in the oven- just in case, but we didn't HAVE to eat them. I noticed she was slurring and looking over at the champagne, I realized she had finished off the bottle. After we ate the cookies, while I typed up our goals, Abbie announced she needed Taco Bell. "It's the only thing that is going to help with my hangover tomorrow," she declared.

"Alright," I said. "I'll take you if you'll ride with me to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription."

"Woot! Woot! Taco bell!" She shouted while grabbing her coat and heading into the car.

I told my older sister about the way we kicked off our health goals tonight. "It reminds me of the physical fitness pre-tests we used to do in elementary school. I'd pretend I couldn't stretch my toes, struggle to do one pull up and could barely do 15 sit ups. Then, in the real test, I'd actually try and reach way past my toes, do 6 pull ups, and whip through the sit ups. Nothing shows progress like starting from the bottom!"

1 comment:

Goomba said...

I'd written a blog about Fab B4 30 before I saw this. It is fun to compare and contrast our writing.