I absolutely adore Charlie Chaplin. I saw my first Charlie Chaplin film only about three years ago, in the depths of a Boston winter that was too cold for doing much besides watching movies. I was surprised to discover that I love slapstick comedy. I was also surprised to find the range of emotions that can be communicated only via a face, or in body language.
This weekend, Radio West, an NPR show that broadcasts from Salt Lake, held an event at the lovely Capital Theater in downtown Salt Lake. For only 25 cents, we were treated to the live broadcast of the radio show, featuring a silent film organist, NPR's film critic, a professor of film, and an expert on Chaplin. During the commercial breaks, we saw clips of Chaplin films accompanied by the organ. (Did you know those organists improv the music as they play?)
People came in costume, costumed sellers sold popcorn for 25 cents, and the citizens of Salt Lake came in droves, representing an enormous range of ages. The line snaked out the doors of the theater 45 minutes before the show was scheduled to begin.
After the end of the radio broadcast, the organist accompanied a Chaplin short. It was apparent from the organist's body language and facial expressions that he had spent a lot of time watching silent films. His movements and facial expressions were all just a little larger than life. At the end of the short, he received an enormous round of applause, which he graciously received, and then moved very deliberately to take a seat in the audience. Without words he said, "No matter how many times I have seen a Chaplin film, I am looking forward to seeing this one." He settled into his seat as the opening credits for "City Lights" began to roll.
I don't see a lot of movies, particularly in theaters. This experience reminded me of why people go to theaters. It wasn't even just the sense of it being an occasion, what with the costumes and the ornate building. The real draw was that there were several times during the show when the audience reacted almost as one, with enormous bursts of laughter, gasps of surprise, and once, an "oh!" that was so gigantic, and so completely in unison, that I think we surprised ourselves. I was certainly surprised, at least.
1 comment:
Post a Comment