What do you get when a previously Mormon girl of Swedish descent celebrates Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year)? A two layer chocolate honey cake with handmade marzipan bees! I hate that I didn't take a picture of this culinary masterpiece that topped off a lovely meal with friends and family. The guests were fascinating. Saul, the guest of honor, and the only Jewish person, said the Kiddush (with a little help from me). He also showed off his lung power. Saul has a lung capacity four times that of a normal person. This makes for a great party trick!
Saul's fiancee was also in attendance, as were several friends, my sister and her boyfriend. Not only was it the first meal of the new year, it was also the first meal we hosted in our new apartment. I love hosting and Rosh Hashana is one of my favorite holidays. I had worried that I would be depressed or emotional on that day, but the autumn is my favorite time of year and naturally feels like a time of new beginnings. This autumn in particular is full of new beginnings and I feel that easier times are on the horizon for the year to come.
In order to properly celebrate the holiday, as well as do justice to the first communal meal in our house, I spent three days cooking. I made the afore mentioned honey cake (the traditional dessert) across all three days. In addition, I made challah with chunks of apple, Iranian pomegranate chicken, saffron rice, roasted autumn vegetables, and salad. The meal was a hit. When leaving, some of my guests apologized for leaving before midnight. It was only then that I realized I had forgotten to explain that it already was New Year's and we didn't have to wait until midnight. Next time I celebrate a Jewish holiday, I think I'll need to do some more advance preparation with the guests!
The thrill of being in my own place, of living in a place where canned pumpkin is readily available, the joy of having friends join me around the table, the gratitude for the people in my life embracing my Israeli side and joining in the party, culminated in near euphoria. I have been enjoying the memory of this lovely evening ever since.
No comments:
Post a Comment