Thursday, November 15, 2007

Lucky day

Today, while waiting for the woman at the reception counter of my gym to check me in, I saw a thigh-high girl in a pink hooded parka munching happily on an oreo as her mother spoke to the woman behind the counter. "What are you eating?" I asked her, as if her black hands and lips weren't a clear indication of the answer. Instead of answering, she grinned up at me, tottered forward and hugged my leg. Her mother was horrified, "She's covered with Oreo! Lily, stop it!"
I was, as I often am, dressed all in black from the waist down, so I wasn't worried. In order to calm the mother though, I decided to make the little girl stop hugging me by coming down to her level. I knelt down and asked her, "How old are you?" She grinned at me with complete joy, tottered forward, and hugged my neck with her tiny arms. I did what almost anyone would have and hugged her back. Her mother was horrified.

I was so thrilled that as I handed my membership card to the woman behind the counter I said, "I just got a hug for no reason!" and giggled. It felt like my lucky day.

1 comment:

tara said...

This is so sweet! It made me cry :)