Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Iran

I have always wanted to go to Tehran. I guess always must be a bit of an exaggeration since I am betting the first time I ever heard about Iran it was from my father and I think he was probably telling me about the hostage crises in 1979 and that Jimmy Carter in particular and the Democrats in general will always be seen as weak failures by the rest of the world.

In spite of that, I have spent the last several years wanting to go to Iran. I hope I will make it some day. I highly recommend this book to any of you who are interested in cartoons, graphic novels, art, humanity, politics, the middle east, coming of age, and so on. In short, everyone. I read all of it a few years ago and loved it. I even managed to read a little bit in French. It's amazing how the pictures help!

And, I just found this website, for anyone who wants to see the Iranian street graffitti of today.

And this website for anyone who wants to know what Teheran looks like. (Click on the links to see pictures of Tehran.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this the book that you recommended to me last year? I think that it should be your next book club nomination. -Abbie

linsey said...

I bet this is what I was talking about at Amberlie's house at Christmas time. I think you solved the mystery! It will be next book club nomination.

Anonymous said...

Actually the book that you recommended at Amberlie's was about the American West I think. Persepolis was the book that you recommended to me when you saw that I was reading Reading Lolita in Tehran. I remember that we were standing in my house when you told me about it. - Abs